Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My witching hour

I discovered that I, along with thousands of babies around the world, have a witching hour. For babies it usually happens between the hours of 4-7 p.m. and coincidentally mine does as well, except in my case my witching hour is also known as the dinner hour. And, I think the term is sometimes appropriate for me. :)

There are days that I'm organized, have a plan in place, am clear-headed and eager to feed the hungry troops, and there are other days that I've been running around all day, tired, unmotivated and just generally "fussy".

Today for instance is a good day, while Ev is in preschool, I easily prepared corn chowder which is happily bubbling away in my crock pot, and all is well with the world. The other day was another story... it was after 6 when I arrived home from running around all afternoon and was quite tired and grumpy. I set to task making what I had in my mind was going to be supper for that night only to realize that I was missing one key ingredient. The rant fest began.

Ran offered to run to the store and get an ingredient for my plan B supper which was easier than my plan A idea, and he took Ev with him and headed off. Thank goodness we have two groceries stores within a mile of our house, that has saved me on numerous occasions. Other moments of relief have come from a very culinary happy husband that enjoys cooking (unlike myself most days) and will offer to make dinner (and is also good about throwing random ingredients together to make something delish). I do try to not make that a habit though, as tempting as it is, because he's worked hard all day and I like to have something at least set in motion when he arrives home (except on weekends where I unashamedly take advantage of it :). Thankfully though his expectations and demands on me are nil and none and most days I manage to pull off something decently tasty and usually nutritious. :)

Anyways, going back to the day in question, as I was busying myself around the kitchen, grunting and grumbling, Ran and Ev arrived back home from the store, and Everlea came running in the kitchen, saying "Mama, we have a surprise for you, close your eyes." She presented me with the following, which she originally took all the credit for, but then admitted that it was daddy's idea, but she picked them out. :)


And all was once again well in MY world.

6 comments:

~jenna said...

awwww, such a good man!! and lest you feel alone...i too have the same witching hours ;)

Karen said...

Aw - what a great hubby:) I'm right there with ya and I totally know what you mean! And I know it definitely has to do with my organization (or lack there of:) earlier in the day.

BTW - that corn chowder sounds yummy!!!

ljm said...

Yup, my witching hours and thoughts exactly. It doesn't help that Keith is gone in the evening. I need to find more good crockpot recipes!

The Boisverts said...

corn chowder and flowers all in the same night?!! all would be right in my world, too! :-)
very sweet.

steelfamilynh said...

Like Randy, Adam is easy on me and usually cooks when he gets home. Unlike you I don't feel much guilt and let him:) I'm so mean! I hate cooking and if Adam's not around or not cooking I find it hard to figure something out that is quick and easy so unfortunately fast food is quick and easy on those night where my witching hour gets the best of me.

steelfamilynh said...

Ha- I am thinking of you as my witching hour is in full swing tonight and I messed up my original dinner plans so have to get another dinner in before we are off to soccer! GRRR!!!