Wednesday, March 5, 2008

An unexpected letter...

I got a piece of mail the other day that took me by surprise and actually made me a little emotional. It was from Compassion, a christian organization similar to World Vision. We've been supporting a girl from Africa through the organization for what I think has been about 8+ years.

Anyways, the letter said that we are no longer to send money on her behalf because she got married!! The news totally caught me off guard, mostly I guess because we are not used to a culture where it's common practice for 15-16 year old girls to get married. We've been supporting her since she was 8 years old.

I got emotional for a few reasons, for one she has been a part of our lives for a long time now. Even though I've never met her, and probably could and should have written and prayed for her even more than I did, she was still in some small way a part of our family and she corresponded with us on a semi regular basis. Also, I don't know if it was an arranged marriage or not, but it almost sounded like that according to the letter and, she's only completed the 7th grade I think.

So, I decided her picture will remain on my fridge door. Even though we can no longer support her financially (although I did call Compassion to ask if we could send her a monetary wedding gift and final letter and they said yes she can receive a final gift), we can still pray for her. I truly hope that the husband in her life now is a believer and will love and cherish her, but more importantly I pray that she will continue to hold on to and grow in the love of Christ.

God please keep this precious daughter of yours in the palm of your hand.

4 comments:

kat said...

Me and Ronny have been wanting to do something like that but didn't know what organization was a good one to go through. Would you mind giving me the info for this organization? Thank you.

Wendy said...

Kat,

the website is www.compassion.com

you can choose a child right off the home page, by age, geographic location, gender etc. or you can have compassion choose a child for you. the cost is $32/month. you can also make your monthly payment online too on their website, which I found convenient.

The Boisverts said...

Hey Wen,
sorry about "losing" your child... I remember when that happened for our first child we were really bummed out. In our case she had been moved by a relative outside of the reach of the ministry/school, so it was sad.
I know that the love you showed to her will leave a lifelong impact as she was, through your financial blessing via Compassion Int., taught about the love of Christ and her need for a Savior. How cool if you get to meet her in heaven one day!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

That made me cry. Wow.