Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Ok, so funny story...

albeit, also slightly embarrassing!

Ev has had cradle cap ever since she was a baby and I just figured it would go away on it's own. Well she's almost 4 and she still has it, I'm probably the only one that notices it with all her hair now, but I wanted to try and take care of it once and for all.

So I read online that baby oil helps, which I've heard before, and happened to see some the other day in the store, so got a bottle.

She usually has baths the night before school and this week was no different except for the fact that before I shampooed her hair I combed in some oil into her scalp. Let's just say I might have used a little too much. Ok, not quite accurate...

Her hair was a major oil slick!!... but because it was also wet after her bath I just figured the oil would soak in over night! Not so much, not at all actually, and I woke her up for school the next morning with still majorly oily hair. I didn't want to send her to school that way, but due to lack of time to do anything about it, I put her hair in braids and hoped that the teachers would just think I put gel in or something.

She came back from school and we were talking about her hair later that day and she said, "My teachers thought I had soap in my hair" aaack! that's the embarrassing part! Her teachers are now probably thinking, who knows, that I don't properly wash the soap out of my daughter's hair!

So I checked online what to do and I should have realized this, but they said to use dishwashing liquid if you used too much oil. So, Ran gave her a bath last night, scrubbed her hair with the dishwashing soap and then again with her shampoo. It's definitely alot better, but will probably need one more good washing to really get it all out. Needless to say I will probably not use it again. She'll just have to grow out of it, unless I can find a better product out there with better results!

The crazy thing too about all this too, is I'm not really sure if it was helping with the cradle cap, but I'm kind of doubting it, as it made her head really itchy and a little flaky! Ran even wondered if she had a slight reaction to it as both her shoulders and neck had a little rash on them... Poor thing...she kind of thought that was funny, but I still felt bad.

So, when I drop her off for school on Friday, I might just say to her main teacher (who I also know really well personally)... "So funny story about Everlea's hair on Tues. ..." :)

Yeesh!

So much for my SuperMOM status...ha ha!


My little grease monkey!! Her hair is not wet at all in the picture...it's the oil!


The solution...


Looking better! :)

7 comments:

The Boisverts said...

Wendy, that's awesome! hahaaa...

Sorry about her flakes but I think you're right, you probably notice them more than anyone else (I've never seen them)! I have heard that oil (even olive oil!) will help cradle cap so you are not alone... and you are still super mommy!!!

steelfamilynh said...

That is great! Just think of it as a really nice hair treatment. When it is all washed out her hair should be really soft and healthy:)

Anonymous said...

Wendy, There is a product at target that is great for cradle cap. It's in a light green/blue bottle in the baby section. I think it's called baby naturals or something. It works great, but you have to use almost hte whole bottle!!

Wendy said...

thanks Sarah, I'll have to check that product out, and K, I did think that too, that maybe she'll have great conditioned hair after all this.. :) and Jen thanks for the Super Mommy comment, which was part of the joke on that questionnaire, I hardly feel that way for real.

I'm so glad I didn't use Olive Oil too, cause she would have gone to school with greasy hair smelling like an Italian Restaurant...haha

Karen said...

Wen - that last comment just made me laugh so hard I cried:) I'm probably a terrible mommy (and maybe a little gross too:), but Emma has it too, and I've tried almost everything, and honestly the only thing that has really worked for me is every once in a while I gently scrape as many of the the "flakes" off with my fingernail right before a bath, and then shampoo it as usual to get the flakes all out of her hair. It makes it much better for several months at least before it comes back and I do it again. Ev is a little older though, so she might not let you, but you never know! Although I'm gonna have to check out the stuff Sarah is talking about too...

The Boisverts said...

Wen and Karen~ I was trying to remember the name of the stuff I used for the boys when they were babies and that's it! What Sarah said: Baby Naturals! It's a tealish bottle and it's awesome. Worked wonders for all 3 of them. I'd put it on their scalps, brush it in with one of those soft baby brushes and then follow it up with a shampoo(I think I had a Baby Naturals brand for that, too)... LOVE that stuff. And it smelled nice, too, if I remember correctly, so she wouldn't smell like fettucini. :-)

Wendy said...

I will definitely check that product out, thanks girls!

and yes, Karen I've done the scraping too, but she has a sensitive scalp so hates it when I do it..I'm going to go to target this week!