I really like our vet clinic. The assistants are very nice there and they always love up Rogs. They remember him even though we are only in 1-2 times a year and they talk all sweet to him.
He was such a good patient today...he's always a good boy there, but today I was especially proud of him. Besides getting all the shots, they needed to draw blood and both the assistant and doctor were having difficulties finding a vein, so poked him in 3 legs! He patiently held his paw out every time for them. I thought it was funny/sweet at one point the vet was holding him around the neck while the asst. was trying another attempt and the vet was kissing him on the head and talking gently to him. She was saying stuff like, "You are the sweetest thing, you are the reason people buy golden retrievers." I was a proud mother! hee hee
He got some additional positive comments like his teeth were like that of a 4 yr old dog (he's 7 1/2) and she said if she didn't know him, she wouldn't have guessed he was 7! She said he was in great health.
The very best part of the visit though was finding out that Rogan tested negative for Lyme's disease today!! Many of you know that last year at this time he was diagnosed with Lyme's Disease at his annual exam. The vet told me last year and at this visit that the test will likely show positive for years and possibly always, because of the antibodies that remain in their system, etc. I could tell the vet was a little surprised...I got the impression she's never seen negative results show up that quickly (in a year) like that before. She told me as I was leaving that maybe the antibiotics he was on last year may have been strong enough to rid it out of his system faster or something like that...She kept checking the test though expecting to see the line to say positive, but it never showed up! Even though it's not life threatening, I was still thrilled and relieved!
So, since we are on the subject of dogs, I'll throw out some interesting guinness book of world record facts I heard recently and I'll end with a little contest.
Smallest dog: this was amazing, A Yorkshire Terrier weighing a mere 0.4 oz at 2 yrs of age! He was the size of a matchbox.
Largest dog: (weight) A Old English mastiff weighed in at 343 lbs!

Ok, so here's the contest: Anyone want to take a guess of the guinness book of world record's oldest living dog? Now you can't google it or anything, or you will find the answer, so you have to just guess on your own! I'll post the answer in a few days...
6 comments:
wow that's great news about sweet rogey.I'm so proud of him and thankful that his tests proved negative.He's such a brave guy and those are the type of people you want in a vet's clinic. Yeh,rogs. Love Gramma J La
my guess for oldest living dog 25 years. Gramma J La
in dog years I would guess 183.I don't know why, I like the sound of it. To me it sounds like a nice round number. call me crazy=)
so melissa is your answer 26 years? 183 doesn't divide with 7 for a whole number (i'm actually looking for human years just to make it easier, but your answer can have years and months as the real answer does have both.
my guess will be 30 years.
Hmmm, my guess was 30 years but since Kristin guessed that I guess I'll do like "the price is right" and guess 31 years!
:-)
ps; so glad to hear that Rog in healthy! He really is the sweetest natured dog I've ever met!
Post a Comment