Monday, June 23, 2008

Birds and Bunnies...

After all the snake talk in my last post, I have to note that we have not seen any crazy critters, and we've done alot of walking on trails, along little streams, in woods etc. in the last 2 weeks. Not to say they aren't in there, but so far I haven't seen anything that has freaked me out.

In fact the main wildlife we get in abundance here are birds and bunnies. We put out a feeder and as a family have been enjoying gathering in front of the breakfast nook window, watching the variety of birds that come to our feeder. The most popular being the female cardinal so far. The others that we see are the male cardinal (has always been my favorite), titmouse, catbird, mockingbird, goldfinches, chickadees, a woodpecker and we think a purple finch. Not to mention the sparrows, robins etc. We've gotten Ev really excited about birdwatching, so sometimes she'll just plant herself on a chair by the window with the binoculars (often backwards) :) and inform us when any birds arrive. Picture a little kid trying to whisper but yell at the same time (because we told her that if she yells they'll fly away)...so it's "Mom, Dad, come quick it's a red bird!!" or whatever she sees at the time. It's quite cute/funny and we love her appreciation of them.


In NH we were hard pressed to get any birds at the feeder I put out, still not sure why. So it's been fun to watch them on a regular basis here. I'm going to try and get some different types of food and maybe another feeder to attract different varieties, and I ordered a really cool blown glass hummingbird feeder online, so I can't wait til that arrives.

Bunnies are another animal here in our subdivision in great amounts. We see at least two in our yard every day, and Ev and I were walking down the trails the other day and there had to be like 7-8 of them just sitting in these people's fenced in back yard, it looked like a bunny sanctuary. :)

Ev and I refer to them as flopsy, mopsy, cottontail and peter. I'll say, "who do you think that one is Everlea" and she'll pick one off the list. Sometimes, she'll say, "I think that's Peter, do you think he's being naughty" (referring to the Beatrix Potter book Peter Rabbit we read her) :)



So that's pretty much it, no people or small animal eating snakes or bugs yet. :)

2 comments:

The Boisverts said...

So exciting to hear about all of the birdies!! And bunnies, too. Soooo cute!
We must have hogged all of the NH birds over here; sorry about that...hee hee...
ps... there is an envelope full of Everlea pictures from the boys that has been sitting on my counter for a week, but first I was out of stamps, then got some on Sat. Then I realized I need to go buy a bigger envelope b/c it's not all fitting in! I'll do that tomorrow and stick it in the mail...and...today some boys got a very cute card and stickers from someone they love very much! :-) Tell her to watch the mailbox in a few days.
Love ya!

steelfamilynh said...

I grew up here in the woods and never ever saw a wild bunny until I went to Cincinnati. I wish we could see some here in our backyard. I love that Everlea is enjoying the birds. My boys are getting into the birdwatching thing too.