Friday, August 1, 2008

Our sweet boy is 8 today...


With people birthdays are celebratory (or at least they should be :), but with dogs, they are bittersweet. Every one reminds us that for each year of their lives you have to multiply it 7 times over (not an exact math) and you realize that the sands of time for a dog run alot faster than those of a human.

Lately I've started to notice things that I never really paid mind to before, like little white hairs popping up around his muzzle or the moments where he isn't quite so quick to get up from sleeping, but they are often contrasted with the times that he runs around outside like a big goofball and you'd think he was a youth again. Many people that have met him lately have guessed he is at least half his age and are usually quite surprised when we tell them that he is actually the age that he is. It's at those times that I have visions of him breaking the Guinness record of the oldest living dog... one can dream. :)

I do cherish every year with our sweet boy, he is so incredibly loved in this family.


I wish I could keep him 8 forever...

6 comments:

The Boisverts said...

Awww, that made me well up!!!!

Happy Birthday to hands down, my favorite dog ever.

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Rogey! Piper left you a message on your Facebook wall!
Guess who..

Anonymous said...

awwwww cute sweet rogan. Your making us cry Wen.Happy Birthday Rogs . We love you! we would've liked to hear you howl when your fam sang Happy Birthday Love Gramma &Grampa L

Barefootmama said...

Happy Birthday Rogan!
Love the picture! Understand where you are coming from ,Wendy, with two crazy doggies here. :)

Karen said...

Agreed - I was welling up already, but then the pic of him and Everlea did me in!!! Happy birthday sweet boy....Wen - I'm trying to smack my lips, but I don't think it's working:)

steelfamilynh said...

Aw- you made me teary too!! I hope he had a great day! Laughing at Karen's smacking comment:)