Monday, October 6, 2008

Skytop Apple Orchard

So this is how it all went down on Sunday. We were eating breakfast, me drinking coffee and looking at friends blogs. We were soon to get dressed and headed to the 11:30 service. As I was looking at all the NH blog posts/pics, I started waxing nostalgic. (Blue Ridge Mtns in NC similar in a way to NH's White Mtns). I said to Ran "seeing all these pics of the mountains, foliage etc....makes me want to go up again." Ran's reply "Ok, let's go." Me, "now?" and he replied "You know I'm game." So that was the end of it. We packed up the car and headed off.

I printed out a few directions for some possible places to go, and ultimately decided that the Skytop Orchard was the best of both worlds, apple picking (something I've been wanting to do for weeks now) and the NC Mtns. A few hours later we were at the orchard and the rest of the afternoon was terrific. Ran and Ev were having so much fun picking together, I let them do the majority of it, giving me lots of photo opps. :)

Besides the apple picking, we enjoyed various playhouses and structures to play in/on, pumpkin patches, the bamboo forest, an on-site pond, a few animals (goats and sheep), watching the cider press in action, drinking fresh apple cider (and my first apple cider slushie, sooo good), eating fresh hot apple cider donuts that literally melted in your mouth, and of course the amazing views. (The name Skytop Orchard was very fitting). The weather couldn't have been better and it was a very pet friendly place, another plus in our books.

As we were driving home, I told Ran, "that was just the perfect day for me." and, he agreed. I also told him how much I appreciated his spontaneity. Even with a child and dog added to the equation, we still like to cling somewhat to the fly by the seat of our pants mentality. It keeps life exciting. :)

As far as church went, I didn't want to miss the service, as my curiosity was peaked with the topic being "God's Economy", and the services have been great lately, but then realized I could listen to it online this week. Another plus to today's technology.

We figure we need to enjoy these nice days (esp. the weekend days when we are all together) as we get them, because I know winter is around the corner (and fall is our favorite season). I know the winters will be milder here, but it'll still get cold and there will be less outdoor activities to enjoy.

And, now I have a big bag of apples to make some yummy treats for Ran's mom's upcoming visit this week.


Oh yah and because the foliage was just starting to turn, we decided a trip back up northwest in a few weeks, will be quite necessary! :)


Here's the link for many additional pics I added on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=62588&id=650088277

No comments: