Monday, October 20, 2008

Pie Making Contest...the results!

The pie table (the competition)


The first place winner in the apple category:

My Caramel Apple Pie!!

and 2nd place winner in the Pecan Category was:

My Pecan Pie!



I thought there might be a possibility that my pecan had a chance as there were only 4 pies entered in that category, so the odds were pretty good, and because I had made a practice pie earlier in the week, we knew the recipe was a great one (with a secret ingredient that I added)! :) But, when they called me up for my apple pie winning 1st place I was totally caught off guard! I knew the recipe was good, since I've made it a few times, but this was my first attempt in many long years at homemade crust and I was up against 6-7 other pies (including my friend Carol's that won 1st last year!)

After flopping my first attempt with a not very good crust recipe from online (which funny enough Ran took and worked with and turned it into a cherry pie that tastes like cherries and shortbread cookies ha ha, good but rich : ) I found a recipe that seemed right and sure enough it made an awesome crust. Another key thing I think, was Ran got some great varieties of apples at a farm stand and I did a mix of slightly tart and sweet, the combo was delish!

I was so happy for Carol too as she got 1st in the Berry category and 2nd in the Apple, so we both walked away with prizes, which was so neat! Plus, we'll have our pics in the local newspaper...hee hee. We received gift certificates for the 1st prizes and for my 2nd prize I got 2 pretty tin fall candle holders. I also got to bring both pies home, which was great as we had them to share with my cousin and fam after heading back to our house for a late lunch.

So that was a fun start to a fun weekend... but I'm definitely going on a baking hiatus for awhile!! :)

2 comments:

Karen said...

Congrats!!! That's great:) And they both look beautiful! Yum!!!

The Boisverts said...

Yay Wen!!!
YUMMMMMM
ps...your lattice looks great! Better than I've ever done that's for SURE!!! You'll have to teach me next time you're here. :-)